Love margaritas but hate the calories? Want something super refreshing? Want to have that incognito cocktail by the pool? We’ve got you covered!
Blood orange margarita ice blocks with lime salt
You will need ice-block moulds and paddlepop sticks for this recipe. Be creative and make use different shaped moulds for some kitsch fun.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups orange-flavored sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- ¼ cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice (plus wedges to serve)
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime, plus ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
1. Combine sugar and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring for 2-3 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium and simmer for 1-2 minutes until slightly syrupy. Transfer the syrup to a large heatproof bowl and allow to cool.
2. Place the orange-flavored sparkling water in a large bowl and lightly whisk to remove the bubbles. Stir in the cooled sugar syrup and add the Cointreau, tequila, and lime juice. Transfer mixture to a jug.
3. Carefully pour mixture into popsicle molds, leaving some room at the top to allow for the pops to expand as they freeze. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
4. To serve, combine the lime zest and salt flakes in a small bowl. Run the molds under water to release the ice pops, then serve with the lime salt and lime wedges.
5. Share with friends!